The economically active number of employees of MTS PJSC as of December 31, 2015 amounted to 30,815 people
The economically active number of employees of MTS PJSC as of December 31, 2015 amounted to 30,815 people.
As of today, the Company operates a competitive payroll system consisting of fixed and variable parts. The compensations’ and benefits’ package is provided to Company’s employees, which meets practices existing on the labour market.
The amount of the fixed salary (official salary) part is defined taking into account salary ranges established for each position category (grade) on the basis of labour market analysis in the region of operations and Company’s Positioning Policy in respect of the labour payment market.
The variable part in the Company is represented by the incentive system which provides for clear and transparent principles of establishment target bonus sizes and calculation of its actual values on the basis of key performance indicators and individual tasks fixed in evaluation forms of each employee.
Apart from the above incentive system, the Company operates a bonus system for employees engaged in sales and subscriber services, the basic principle of which is motivation to reach the final result. A distinctive feature of the system is a revenue structure with a large variable part and other payment frequency. For Company’s employees responsible for direct sales a commission bonus scheme (direct sales interests).
All company’s employees participate annually in the performance evaluation procedure which includes both an evaluation of fulfilment of key performance indicators and the competence development level. Managers during the evaluation process provide an extended feedback based on annual work results, besides, following the evaluation results a plan of developing measures is generated for employees, and key employees are defined, who are included in the talent management program of MTS PJSC.
Thanks to a qualitatively built personnel development system, 4 out of 5 manager’s vacancies in the company are closed by means of in-house candidates. And implementation of new advanced remote training platforms in 2015 will enable in future to provide opportunities for employee’s development with high quality and availability.
MTS provides its employees a broad compensations’ and benefits’ package focused on social protection of employees. Employees receive official benefits (including cars and compensation of costs for their usage, mobile communication with a wide limit), social benefits (including life insurance, additional payment for the sick list, material assistance), representative benefits, additional benefits (including compensation of fitness and swimming pools, wide range of services under voluntary medical insurance, benefits’ package during relocation within the company). Besides, employees are allowed to take part in the cafeteria benefit program where based on employee’s individual decision his set of benefits may be changed. Such an approach enables to qualitatively satisfy varying employees’ needs with high cost effectiveness.
In 2015, the Unified Personnel Service Centre was launched, which enables to qualitatively change local staff relations and raise the speed of base operational service for employees.
In 2015, MTS company was acknowledged as one of 11 best employers of Russia (according to the International Certification Aon Hewitt BEST EMPLOYERS STUDY). Besides, the company was awarded with HeadHunter prize for work with the youth and earned People Investor award for implementation of RegiON intracorporate contest.
Personnel advanced training
MTS PJSC applies a system training model which is based on Company’s strategic objective and human resources management objectives. The training system is also based on corporate values SIMPLY of MTS Group and requirements for employees’ professional knowledge and skills.
The Company operates a Corporate University setting training standards and coordinating personnel training and development processes. Tasks of the Corporate University also include building training systems for various functional divisions of the company. The mission of the Corporate University is to creat development opportunities expanding people and business borders, for MTS confident future.
Main objectives of the function “Personnel Training and Development”:
- assure systematic, efficient development of employees based on corporate values and Company’s key competences;
- generate required knowledge, skills and attitudes required for employees and managers for raising efficiency at the existing position;
- create a tool for development of Candidates Pool and Successors to key positions;
- assure succession of expert / unique knowledge and experience;
- create a self-training environment in the Company where every manager and every employee is interested in development and involved in processes of creation, maintenance and multiplication of knowledge and skills in the Company.
Personnel training and advanced training is performed by means of the following forms and methods:
- Integration training. The Company holds uniform centralised induction courses for all new employees, the aim of which is to understand Company’s business and culture, its structure as well as to study internal processes and organisational procedures by new employees. Additional programs for induction in the internal structure, business-processes of the Company and adopted interaction procedures are conducted for new managers. Team-building measures for raising a corporate spirit and strengthening a corporate structure are held for operating employees. Managers of Company’s functional divisions conduct training of operating employees in accordance with rules drafted in internal regulatory documents. For newly implemented processes functional seminars, master-classes and webinars are held.
- Professional training. Systematic professional training aimed at assuring continuous development of professional personnel knowledge and skills is implemented in the Company. Rates and contents of training programs as well as rates for employees’ participation in professional conferences are set in accordance with requirements of positions as well as in accordance with requirements for employees’ professional knowledge. Professional training planning is carried out based on business need of a particular division. Professional training of employees directly working with customers is carried out mainly by internal resources based on uniform standards (taking into account territorial peculiarities).
- Development of manager’s managerial competences. The managerial competence development system is based on the concept of fulfilment of an individual training plan as well as target and modular training for managers. Target and modular programs are recommended for dedicated categories of managers, individual training plans are formed based on the results of the annual evaluation of managers’ competences. A focus is made on training of managers in personnel management methods (selection, evaluation, grading, developing feedback, creation of individual development plans, mentorship, coaching, motivation of employees etc.) and interaction with subordinates based on uniform corporate standards. An important objective of managerial training, apart from generation of an uniform approach among managers is to motivate and retain Company’s managers. The direction and contents of managers’ training programs are defined by the Company’s development strategy, business tasks of divisions and managers’ competence development level based on evaluation results.
- Training of candidates pool and successors to managerial positions. The candidates pool training system is based on individual development plans of every employee included in the candidates pool group. Training programs are formed individually in accordance with results of evaluation measures and competence development level.
- Self-education. Conditions for employees’ self-education are created in the company. The internal library of recommended literature on competences was established.
- In-person trainings, seminars. When conducting such type of training and seminars, an internal resource is actively used, author’s internal trainings adapted to Company’s business specifics are developed. A significant share of internal programs is held in a comfortable online format which enables any employee to take use of training opportunities in the Company. The Academy of trainer’s mastership for preparation of in-house trainers was implemented, a remote program for trainer from remote RF regions was launched.
- Post-training support. Based on training results employees receive a list of recommended literature and additional materials for studying, for the part of programs fulfilment of home task and its discussion with a training for better skill mastering are stipulated. Follow up seminars, workshops, workshops on the topics of past training with a view to master employees’ knowledge and skills and to discuss issues of obtained knowledge application in practice may be conducted.
- Remote training. Remote training forms are actively used by the Company for all training types. Theoretical courses are conducted mainly in a remote format. Remote methods are also actively used for evaluating training efficiency: knowledge testing based on training results, evaluations of satisfaction with training programs, practical applicability of training programs.
- On-the-job training is regarded as a priority and the most efficient method. One of the main tasks of a manager of any level is professional growth of his subordinates. The Company operates a mentorship system for all employees: from trainees to experts.
- Master-classes from Company’s top managers. Company’s top manager take active part in training and development of Company’s employees. Master-classes of Company’s key managers are held in the Company on a regular basis, the task of which is to bring main Company’s objectives, Company’s strategy to personnel as well as to discuss key projects. When holding master classes, the top managers can get the feedback from the employees and discuss the prospective changes in their processes.
In addition, by the end of 2015, the following programs have been implemented in the Company.
- New cycle of the “Talent Management” comprehensive development program was launched for successors for leadership positions, high-potential employees (Hi-Po), specialists with unique expertise (Hi-Pro). For each of the groups, target training programs have been developed, including the development of an individual development plan, 360 and Hogan feedback scoring, master classes, workshops, business breakfasts with top executives, mentoring programs.
- Remote Personnel Testing and Training System (SDTO) is being developed. 282 new courses were added to Remote Personnel Testing and Training System, including videos of webinars/video courses, etc. (3 times more than in 2014); each employee completed more than four courses in the SDTO system; in total the employees completed 155,924 man-courses.
- A system of online learning through webinars is actively developing. In 2015, training in this format has been held for more than 27,000 employees.
- The corporate electronic library has been updated and expanded; now in addition to e-books, it also has audio-books on personal and professional development. In total the library includes more than 600 books.
- The “Leadership Academy” development program was launched across Russia. During 2014, every fourth participant of “Leadership Academy” took a new career step.
- Implementation of the “Sharing Knowledge” project continued, where the employees share their expertise with colleagues in the format of webinars and workshops.
- For MTS managers, Rules for MTS Manager were developed, including basic principles of management in the Company. Program to teach the rules was conducted in 2015, 50% of the Company’s executives had full-time training.
- In support of the Company’s strategy, targeted training programs “Coaching in Management,” “Kaizen Idea: Efficiency Development” were launched. “Anti-Brittle Team,” “Systematic Thinking” development programs and modular program “Art of Productivity with No Stress” were designed to be launched in 2016.
- The English teaching program implementation continued in the format of clubs, full-time and online groups. Moderators are guest lecturers (Russian-speaking and native speakers of English).
- Candidate Pool program in Sales and Customer Service Block units was implemented.
- Total coverage of employees trained was 209,000 man-courses.
In line with the Company’s HR strategy, functional academies were developed:
- Customer Care Academy for the employees engaged in customer service;
- Academy of Business Sales for the employees engaged in sales of products and services for corporate customers;
- Coaching Skills Academy for the development of coaches within MTS Group. The goals of the Academy are professional development of corporate and in-house trainers of MTS Group and spreading single philosophy / policy / learning principles across the Company;
- Leadership Academy for high-potential employees of MTS Group. The key objectives of the Academy include development of managerial and communication skills of high-potential professionals;
- HR Academy for employees of the HR unit;
- iMBA for employees in remote regions.
The criteria for sending the employees for vocational training are the approved vocational training plans, formed by functional managers based on the annual appraisal results.
Induction training has to be completed by all new employees, and if a new regulation/process is introduced – by all existing employees of the Company.
Occupational health and labour safety
MTS PJSC pays close attention to the issue of ensuring comfortable and safe working conditions. Personnel safety is the main component of corporate social responsibility of the Company.
MTS is guided in the field of occupational health and safety by the laws of the Russian Federation, as well as international law and local regulations on labour protection.
The Company operates a three-tier system of OSH management, focused on creating a safe working environment, prevention of occupational injuries and personnel training of safe work rules.
Labour protection activities carried out by MTS PJSC are aimed at:
- Ensuring the priority of preserving life and health in the workplace;
- Improving of the OSH management system;
- Timely training of managers and specialists on labour protection;
- Organisation of preventive and periodic medical examinations of employees;
- Timely provision of employees with special clothing, footwear and other personal protective equipment;
- Organisation of the production control and evaluation of the special conditions of employment;
- Ensuring the safety of production equipment and processes;
- Accounting and analysis of occupational injuries, organisation of investigation of accidents and activities to prevent occupational injuries and diseases;
- Providing units with normative documents, communicating the laws and regulations on labour protection to the employees;
- Promotion of occupational safety and health issues.
In January 2016, the analysis of the implementation of the planned activities on labour protection in the past year was performed. In total, MTS PJSC spent RUB 74.1 M RUB on labour protection measures in 2015 (in 2014 — 66.5 M RUB), which amounted to an average amount of 2324 RUB (in 2014 — 2018 RUB) per employee.
In 2015 18,366 persons underwent external and internal health and safety training. Employees trained on health and safety are managers, experts, members of commissions on health and safety and other categories of employees. Various training systems are used for internal training on health and safety, including a remote health and safety training system of the Corporate MTS University. The Company provides training on first aid to persons injured at the production facility. First aid is a complex of actions aimed at recovery or preservation of life and health of the injured. The main objective of training is practice of independent actions and behaviour of employees aimed at preserving life of every injured, before arrival of rescue services. To increase efficiency of practical training, robots-simulators “Gosha” are purchased in the Company.
One of the major trends in the prevention of occupational injuries and diseases is a special assessment of working conditions. This process allows to fully identify and objectively evaluate the harmful and (or) dangerous production factors and risks in the workplace, to plan the activities to improve working conditions. As of December 31, 2015, 21,065 workplaces (87.3% of the total quantity of workplaces) have been estimated in MTS Corporate Center and MTS PJSC Macro-regions, in 2016, special assessment of working conditions will continue.
Personal protective equipment (PPE) plays an important role in the prevention of employee’s direct exposure to harmful and (or) hazardous production factors. MTS PJSC developed and approved norms of free issue of special clothing, footwear and other personal protective equipment to workers who are engaged in work with harmful and (or) dangerous working conditions. Timely procurement of certified PPE is provided, deadlines of wearing and testing of personal protective equipment are met. Properly organised safekeeping of PPE is ensured.
MTS employees engaged in work with harmful and (or) dangerous working conditions undergo preventive (at employment) and periodic (during work) medical examinations. The purpose of the periodic medical examination is a dynamic monitoring of the employee’s health in the workplace, prevention and timely establishment of the signs of occupational and general disease, and prevention of accidents. During the reporting period, MTS PJSC held preventive and periodic medical examinations of 2,989 and 8,758 employees, respectively. As a result of periodic medical examinations, 20 employees needed to transfer to another job, and health resort treatment was recommended to 273 employees.
Particular attention is paid to the organisation of MTS activities to prevent occupational injuries and diseases, to carry out preventative measures to manage occupational risks. For this purpose, various organisational and technical measures have been implemented for accidents prevention. In 2015, six minor accidents and one severe accident occurred within MTS PJSC (in 2013 five minor accidents occurred). It should be noted that 71% of accidents are due to falls of the injured as a result of personal carelessness, and 29% are due to road traffic accidents. Rate of injury, which is characterised by a frequency1 factor of accidents (Ff), was 0.21 (in 2014 — 0.15), for comparison, in “Communication” industry — 1.56.
Annually MTS PJSC cooperates with the Social Insurance Fund of the Russian Federation for financial support of preventive measures to reduce accident injury rate and occupational diseases of employees and health resort treatment of employees working with hazardous and (or) dangerous production factors, as well as to obtain discounts on insurance tariff for compulsory social insurance against industrial accidents and occupational diseases. In 2015 the total amount received from this work made 9.6 M RUB (in 2014 – 9.5 M RUB). Using the funds of the Social Insurance Fund of the Russian Federation, medical examinations were performed; overalls, safety shoes and other PPE were purchased; special assessment of labour conditions was made; health resort treatment was organised for MTS employees.
OSH management system in MTS PJSC has been recognised at the regional and district levels. In 2015, a number of MTS branches became winners of city and regional contests for labour protection.
A lot of attention is paid to promotion of labour protection issues, various forms of operation are used. Every year in April, in anticipation of the Global Labour Protection Day, various actions are taken to improve the labour conditions and protection of the Company employees, to prevent accident frequency rate and occupational diseases. Last year the representatives of MTS and subsidiaries participated in the work of the first All-Russian Labour Protection Week in Sochi. The busy schedule of the All-Russian Labour Protection Week made it possible to participate in professional discussions, to study best practices and experience of colleagues, to learn about the main directions of labour protection law improvement, to get recommendations and answers to practical questions.
In order to motivate Macro-regions and regions to achieve high indicators in the field of labour protection, in 2015 the review contest was heald on labour protection for best labour conditions and protection among Macro-regions of MTS PJSC. Activities of Macro-regions and regions were assessed by 20 indicators. Winners of the review contest were: Branch of MTS PJSC in Altai Territory, Macro-region “Siberia”; Branch of MTS PJSC in Smolensk, Macro-region “Centre”; Macro-region “Moscow”.
Two branches of MTS PJSC got the “Employer’s Trust Certificate”.
Every year the Company assesses the effectiveness of OSH management system based on quantitative indicators that objectively assess the degree of implementation of the labour policy. Assessment is carried out for each region. As a result of evaluating the OSH management system effectiveness, the analysis is performed, concrete measures on improvement of labour protection are planned.